Friday, September 25, 2009

Thorpe and Poswick

I put another bucket of feed on two of the hives in Thorpe.

In Postwick most of the hives have some fondant on. One of the three that hasn't is supposed to be uniting two brood boxes together but as yet the bees in the bottom box don't seem to be interested in the bees with a queen in the box above.

The hive that has a daughter of one of the two stinging hives that I moved from the allotment at the start of the year I have been leaving to make honey this year. On my last visit I moved the queen excluder down between the super and brood box as they were on a brood and a half. Gamgling that the queen is in the super at this time of the year (I did the same with the Bowthorpe queen today - nice brood pattern there with no chalkbrood) .

The queen was in the brood box and the bees were making honey in the super. I took three frames of honey out and put the super back with a brood box of old frames on top. We have had a sustained spell of hot sunny weather in the last few weeks and if this weather continues I will take some more honey before feeding the box and possibly leaving it with two brood boxes of bees and stores.

I have a lot of undrawn brood frames an fear not enough bees to get them all drawn out before the winter.

No comments: