Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Autumn feed

Although in the middle of the day it has been hot and sunny for quite a few days now (if not weeks!) the days are getting shorter and the nights colder. Autumn is officially here and winter not so far away. I am still feeding the bees in all of my hives except for a few of the bigger ones in Old Costessy. Those are still making honey.

I am trying to unite small colonies with more bees to boost their numbers and sorting out brood boxes, floors, roofs and entrance blocks as I empty my nuc boxes. I have yet to start fitting mouse guards. Most of the colonies have had some thymol cystals spread along the lugs (not those still making honey) and several hives now have a block of fondant on.

I have brought the box feeders in to play today and I'm on my tenth 25 Kilo bag of sugar.

No comments: