Saturday, April 25, 2009

Swarms, Postwick and Bluebell Road

I picked up another Bowthorpe swarm today. Again the bees were in a compost bin. This time in the garden next door to the one I took a swarm away from two days ago. A cast I imagine from the same hive.

I took the swarm to Postwick. The bees I took from the allotment to Postwick are still angry with me.

I inspected the other hives in Postwick. The one at the back is slowly coming along well with bees that are nice to work with. But the others are taking their time to get moving and are generally very dissapointing and don't seem to be progressing much. The 2008 Postwick swarm are moving up through their hive that has no queen excluder on.

Stripes was looking OK but not really exciting where as her mum (I am going to call her Willow) was looking extremely good. Honey Stripes seemed to be running out of steam so I changed her hive around. I moved the queen excluder up above the second brood box after taking some of the older frames out and replacing them with brand new deep frames and foundation. I spotted two bees with deformed wings so I gave the top brood box a liberal application of Thymol crystals as deformed bees must mean that the mite levels are getting too high in the hive. There were three supers on the hive but I took one off and gave it to Willow instead.

No comments: