Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tina, 83 Bluebell Allotments. Norman's Old Costessy No1

I moved Tina to a new home in John's garden. She now lives in an old WBC hive.

I took the queen out of the hive at the far end of the allotment site (She was one of Tina's daughters) and put her in a new brood box ready to leave in the morning.

I checked the bees from the Thorpe in the hive in the top corner that I left with two queen excluders on (because I couldn't find the queen) on my last visit. There were only eggs in the brood box but I still couldn't find the queen. It's strong hive that's making honey. The bees were easy enough to handle without gloves and they didn't sting.

I checked the hive with the two new brood boxes under the greengage tree. They were drawing out the frames well but were also beginning to ignore the bottom box where the frame of drone brood is.

I have been thinking of the queen cell that I left in Norman's (No1) hive in Old Costesy. I was thinking that I should put it in a nuc box and let that hive produce their own queens. Too late the cell was empty. There was a frame with several queen cells in the making so I made a nuc up with those instead. I may graft a cell onto another frame in a day or so.

No comments: