Friday, September 18, 2009

Old Costessy

The bees in Old Costessy I think are working both the balsam (judging by the white pollen on their backs) and the ivy (judging by the smell in the apiary). What kind of honey I am going to get as a result remains to be seen.

I Googled 'ivy honey' and ended up reading this I only know the heritage of some of my bees. I know for example that Tina's mother was an imported Greek Buckfast cross. And my German queen is Carniolan It is also apparent from their yellow colour that some of the swarms I pick up are Italian.

But many are black bees as Honey Stripes mother was. Unfortunately I have seen deformed wings in Honey stripes hive both at the beginning and end of this year. Even so her colony did very well and made a good crop of honey.

No comments: