Thursday, September 17, 2009

Allotment apiary

I have taken the last of the honey from the hives in the allotment today and started getting them ready for the winter.

Greengage83 is a large strong colony that I'm feeding with sugar syrup. The bees have just about filled their brood box with stores. Today I gave them a second brood box to clean up and store sugar in before I take away the bottom box (that I numbered 8). I want to unite a small colony with some of Greengage's bees. I will take Greengage to Postwick or Ringland.

The medium sized colonies that are on four or five frames I'm giving a block fondant to. But before putting the block of fondant onto the crown board I am checking that the queen is laying, taking out any undrawn frames and replacing with older drawn out frames, moving the brood to the center of the box and putting an equal number of empty (but drawn out) frames on either side. Finally I sprinkle some thymol crystals at the end of the lugs of the frames with brood and bees on them.

No comments: