Friday, August 21, 2009

GW

Furgle's bees (back link) didn't survive the last month. Maybe they couldn't cope with the wasp invasion although there weren't many dead bees in the brood box so that may not be the reason for their demise. I see that I noted that the queen was small.

GW's bees have made a good job cleaning the brood comb and stored a bucket of feed in them so far. I have isolated the queen in the bottom brood box so that I move her out and take her to Postwick in due course. In the meantime I have put another bucket of feed on. The queen is not good enough to keep on the allotment. The brood has too much chalk brood, the bees don't make honey and now they are not as nice to handle once the hive is opened as they were earlier in the year.

I also put a bucket of feed on the German queen and that got the bees very excited disturbing the balance in the hive next door. Norman's hive that had the queen in a nuc box on top of the hive that the bees decided to rob out. Once the bees start a robbing attack they go crazy.

I am still reducing hive entrances ever smaller.

No comments: