Saturday, July 11, 2009

GW,

There was a lot of activity at the entrance of GW's hive and after the chaos created by pulling it apart the other day I thought I would give it another look. The queen marked green (she should be marked red) was there in the top brood box on the second frame in. I made a quick inspection for queen cells and put the hive back together. There was still some unhatched brood in the big old wooden feeder box and I released quite a few drones that had emerged from brood in the feeder box that is above the queen excluder. I need to put on another super.

I was going to take the queen and the brood out of the Wynmondham swarm and give them one of my queen cells to hatch out. The bees were ahead of me and had already made their own queen cell. I still removed the queen and a couple of frames of brood. But I did leave them with their own queen cell to look after.

No comments: