Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Honey Stripes

Even though the weather wasn't perfect for opening up bee hives I didn't like leaving Honey Stripes with missing frames in her brood box.

And it turns out the bees didn't like it either and had already started making their own comb hanging down from the crown board to fill the spaces. I gave them a bucket with feed to encourage them to draw the three frames of foundation I put in today and those I put in on my last visit a couple of days ago.

The next stage will be to re-site the brood box on a new hive stand and take out the old broken frames and put a super on. I don't want do that until the weather looks set for a fine spell. Hopefully they will have finished the feed by then.

They will need checking again on Sunday 29th Easter Sunday to see if the bees decided to make queen cells in the middle brood box.

No comments: