Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Old Costessy Apiary

It rained this pm but it is not yet cold.

The last time I visited the four hives at Costessy I topped the feeders on each hive.

On checking the feeders today I found that they were still half full although all had plenty of bees feeding from them.

Without doing a full check it did look as though three of the four hives have most of the brood frames full of stores and it was only the last hive to re-queen that will still need more food after this bucket if the bees are to fill it's two brood boxes full with stores.

Maybe I shouldn't have put a super on that hive but I had taken four supers with me and I put them all on. I like to have one super on all of my hives when they go into the winter. Even if the super isn't used this autumn the bees will clean it and keep it ready to use when they need it next spring.

Each hive had a restricted entrance with an entrance block in and after today they now all have the entrance covered with a mouseguard.

Friday, October 3 2008 topped up feeders
Monday, September 15, 2008 gave the bees more food
Thursday, August 28, 2008 Started feeding unighted two hives

No comments: