Wednesday, September 10, 2008

UEA Bluebell Road Apiary

Sunshine! And it lasted for much of a warm day.

There are two hives at my Bluebell road apiary. One hive I took there earlier in the year from the Old Costessy apiary. I moved them because the bees were less easy to handle than the other bees in Old Costessy. Originally these bees were a swarm collected last year. On inspection at the start of August the bees were beginning a swarm procedure and had made one large queen cell. I moved the queen into another hive and left the queen cell and most of the bees in the original hive. Today was the first inspection since then and now there is a new laying queen.

The colony with the old queen I have fed recently.

The colony with the new queen has a super just about full of honey to take off. It has two brood boxes but on inspection today I find the top box is short of deep frames. I must fill that box with more frames, take the super of honey off and then feed and treat the bees. The hive could also do with an open mesh floor.

No comments: