Monday, September 8, 2008

Tina's hive

The day started with grey skys although it was still warm and sun came out occasionally in the afternoon.

I took down the tower that I call Tina's hive (it's on her allotment) and removed three supers with honey in. I put back on the supers that I had extracted honey from last week for the bees to clean up. I will leave those for a few days before taking the hive down to the two brood boxes and putting some food on. They need treatment with Apiguard too.

I opened and checked for queens the last two hives in my allotment and found that both fortunately had laying queens. The total of colonies with laying queens my allotment is now eight. Three are swarms that I collected this year. One colony was imported from Thorpe although the queen was reared on the allotment.

I moved one of the swarms on the allotment from a homemade box into a nice new brood box on an open mesh floor.

No comments: