Thursday, September 4, 2008

More feed for Postwick bees

Another grey start to the day unlike yesterday that was sunny of and on all day with just the occasional shower.

Yesterday I sorted out the bees on the student plot at the allotments. I last went into those hives on the 3rd August There are three laying queens there now including the original swarm queen from last year (marked yellow). I put feeders on two and took away any small amounts of honey left.

I also made a trip to Old Costessy and fed all four hives and took any remaining honey from 'Sticky'.

Today I made another trip to my Postwick apiary and put feed onto four hives that didn't get fed before. The last time I went out there I didn't feed them. Now there is only one colony not in a brood box and that I havn't yet confirmed has a queen. I need to make some more floors and roofs for some of the hives out there and they all still need treatment.

It had rained heavily earlier on in the day but by the evening it had stopped and by the time I left Postwick the weather was calm with a stunning sunset.The ivy in the lane on the way to the apiary is not in such an advanced state of flower as that in the allotment. Picked some nice blackberries.

No comments: