Thursday, August 14, 2008

Took of honey and fed the bees sugar syrup

Took of honey and fed the bees sugar syrup in the Thorpe apiary. I put an extra brood box on two of them and re-sited one of the three WBC hives there onto four paving slabs that I scavenged on the way there. They just happened to be sitting on top of a pile of rubble in a skip two streets away. I wouldn't normally have passed that skip or seen them but on this occasion I was doubling back on myself as I had forgotten to change into my wellington boots. I was trying to decide which apiary to go to first but finding the slabs was a sign to go to Thorpe first. And very smart they now look with a WBC hive on top of them.

I did go to Poswick after Thorpe where there are now about a dozen hives that I fed in some fashion or other. I still need to visit them in the daytime to sort some of them into brood boxes for the winter and deal with any that are queenless. Three of the hives there are now on double brood boxes.

No comments: