Wednesday, May 6, 2009

WBC, Cherry, Feral bees, Honey Stripes, Willow.

I took the queen out of the WBC hive last week and today made up five queen cells in Bee Briefs and left one in the brood box. We will see how they have got on in a month's time.

I inspected the last swarm that I collected and it had a marked queen so I took out all the old frames (except the one the queen was on and the one next to it) and replaced them with brand new frames and foundation. The old frame do seem to hold viruses and once the bees draw out the new foundation they do much better on it. This is the swarm from Attlebough with a queen that I will now call 'Cherry'.

The feral in the bush bees are slowly moving into the new brood box but have not taken the queen up there to lay yet.

Honey stripes on inspection was laying OK today.

I made a concerted effort to find Willow by going through both brood boxes but to no avail. Anyway she is laying very well with no signs of queen cells yet.

No comments: