Friday, May 15, 2009

Acorn marked and moved

This year's queens. I opened the two nuc boxes and the brood box of the queen I took out on the 15th May. One had a laying queen as I could see there were eggs but I could not find her to mark. I think they should all have been left for a further week before inspection

I took queens out of the two hives under greengage tree in the middle of my allotment a week ago. As I had taken the swarm queen(Acorn) away I put a queen cell in brood box she taken from. There are still plenty of bees there that can look after a queen cell.

Acorn was collected as a swarm in an oak tree some days ago on Swarden Common having first ascertained that she is egg laying I have marked her green and taken her out of the hive on the allotment and transported her to Thorpe where she is now in residence in the grey WBC hive under the hazelnut tree.

Misty is OK in her new hive on the 83 allotment plot


No comments: