Monday, September 22, 2008

Ferral bees

Picked up a colony of bees that had made their home in the shrubbery of an office car park. They were found by the groundsmen strimming the shrubs.

It's the first time that I have found honey comb in the open.

The comb is now in a two suppers with it's twigs sticking in it and through it and with two or three brood frames on either side. I gave them one of my brood frames from my store that had honey in but even so I think it may take some time to entice the queen from their comb onto my frames and I may well have to leave these bees like this until next spring before I can get them set up in a regular brood box.

I have only just about sorted out the bees from Thorpe that set up home under the floor of the National hive there.

The car park was in Thorpe so I also paid a visit to the three WBC hives there. The large white hive hasn't taken all of the last bucket of syrup I gave them on my last visit so I gave to it to hive at the other end of the row that had been short changed with less than a full bucket last time. I put in a entrance block (provided by Norman who I also visited) and a mouseguard on that hive.

No comments: